The Fitbit Charge 2 is a remarkable improvement over its predecessors and has been equipped with several interesting features besides the standard features in the earlier Charge range. Fitbit is popular as it is an easy-to-use fitness tracker which offers exercise tracking, sleep tracking and heart rate monitoring features. On the whole it is an impressive accessory which will not make you spend a fortune. It is priced at a modest $149.99 making it costlier than Alta but less expensive compared to the Blaze. It is almost the same price as the previous Fitbit Charge HR when it had been launched. The new model comes with exciting additions like interchangeable bands, expanded screens, and better data tracking and guided breathing features.
What makes the Fitbit Charge 2 a good buy?
- Design: While this is definitely not a fancy smartwatch, the Fitbit Charge 2 is surely a great fitness tracker. In terms of design, this gadget comes with a much larger screen than the previous models. It also has interchangeable bands which are thicker and occupy greater room on your wrists. It borrows heavily from the designs of the Alta and Surge. But the design is far sleeker and there is a large back-and-white OLED screen. The body is trendier-looking having a silver polished look. The clasp mechanism remains unchanged in this model and you may need to exert slightly more force to make the band slip through your wrist.
- Control: You can control the metrics simply by tapping on its touchscreen. You can even check out the modes with the help of a side button. By swiping the touchscreen, you can have a look at the exercises. You will need to press the buttons for a while to access a specific mode. The button on its left side can be sued for skipping through different menu options like calories, heart rates, steps, time etc.
- Compactness: This Fitbit Charge 2 has a small and compact design and there is a two-section strap. Every part of this strap may be easily detached when you want to swap the styles. It is possible to buy the plastic straps in different shades like black, purple, dark blue or light blue. Premium options are black or gunmetal and lavender or rose gold. The charge 2 is also water-resistant and its functioning will not be affected because of rain or sweat. However, it is advisable not to take a shower while wearing it or swim with it.
- Smart Features: The Fitbit Charge 2 has a unique SmartTrack that can identify cycling, running etc. It can also detect sleep, stairs climbed and hourly activities. The sleep tracking feature is rather accurate even if it may not be always perfect. As far as step counting goes, it has the tendency to over-count and may even miss some stairs while counting stair climbing. However, these problems are rather common in most of the fitness trackers in the market. The Charge 2 comes with an excellent heart rate tracker that employs the PurePulse technology for monitoring your heart rate constantly even if you are not working out.
- While there is no onboard GPS, this gadget can connect using your phone’s GPS feature. An excellent feature in this new model is that it allows you to track multiple sports whether it is walking or weight training or treadmill running.